No matter who you are, no matter where you were born, no matter what your economic position is – you only get one set of permanent teeth in life. That means, taking care of your teeth is incredibly important if you want them to last for your entire lifetime. And who doesn’t?!?
Cavity prevention requires more of you than you think. Here are the top steps for protecting your teeth from cavities:
- Floss your teeth every single day. Flossing is more important than brushing when it comes right down to it, because floss is the only tool that can remove acid-producing plaque from the teeth.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Brushing is still important as it helps loosen plaque, keep your teeth whiter, and promotes fresh breath.
- Avoid sugary foods, candies, and beverages. Every time you eat dessert, suck on candies, chew gummy candies, or drink sugary beverages, you are coating your teeth in sugar. Oral bacteria are most attracted to the sugars found in your mouth, and they will congregate around those particles in huge quantities. Where acid is produced, damage occurs. If you do indulge in something with a high sugar content (only occasionally, right?), brush your teeth after you do!
- Increase your dairy content. If you are able to eat dairy without any dietary restrictions, it is important that you do. Milk, cheese, yogurt, and other foods with high dairy content are important to your oral health. Your teeth are made up of calcium, and the best way for your body to absorb appropriate amounts of calcium is through dairy products. If you are unable to consume dairy, ask about a calcium supplement.
- Ask for dental sealants. Dental sealants are a protective coating that is applied to the back molars to “seal out” damage and decay to the teeth. The back teeth are full of pits and grooves that are difficult to clean and are the ideal spaces for food and sugar particles to become trapped. By sealing these areas, you can help seal out bacteria and plaque from growing deep in the grooves and pits of the teeth.
- Chew gum. Sugar-free gum is recommended for cavity prevention. The ingredient known as Xylitol is a cavity fighter and prevents decay. Chewing gum also promotes saliva production to help wash bacteria and food particles from the teeth.
Cavity prevention is up to you. Easy steps can promote healthy teeth for life.